I didn't want to leave my bestie, but it was time for the next step in my voyage. I boarded the C-17 in full battle rattle (Kevlar helmet, body armor/bullet resistant vest) and it was finally time to head into Afghanistan. *que Top Gun anthem*
I took advantage of the nearly two hour flight and took a nap. As the doors lowered and we all stood to exit the plane the heat engulfed me and literally took my breath away. Our group followed behind a flight line crew member who took us to the passenger terminal. Let me say that this <3 minute walk was by far the most difficult of my life. I thought trekking through Denver and the AF Academy once during the summer was rough. Uhh uhh, that was no match. I looked around and saw that mountains swallowed us on all sides. Hmm, moment of slight discomfort. Heat. Mountains. Sound of jets. Mortar Attack procedures. Yup, things just got real.
Our group was herded through some processing and I met up with a Senior Airmen who took the "special" subgroup I was apart of to another location. We got a quick tour of the primary area and our tent assignments, since we would only be here temporarily. I had the luxury of being assigned to a tent with about three functioning light bulbs and an AC with no controls that was blowing temps of about -20 degrees Fahrenheit. Once again, I'm being spoiled -_- On the bright side the mattress appeared a lot less contagious then those at Manas and the shower and latrines (restrooms) were a slight upgrade, i.e. there were hooks and benches. In my short time at my current location, I took advantage of the free wifi in the JET/IA lounge (Air Force members that are deployed solo vs part of a team and generally work for Army units). There is also a recreation center with a computer lab, phones, TVs, video games, and a mini theatre area. Not too shabby. The bizarre was today, but it was too hot and I was too lazy to check it out. A Major I talked to this morning was looking forward to going and getting $2 bootlegs of the newest movies. The food here is good...well great in comparison to alot of DFACs (Dining Facilities) abroad and stateside. There is also a larger non-military American population than I was aware of. Are there any readers that are U.S. contractors willing to indulge how much (the range of pay) you guys make being out here?
Well I'm exhausted from my day of watching six hours of YouTube followed by a seven hour nap. It's after 11 p.m. but since I have to wake up at 3:30 a.m. ish I really don't feel like going to sleep.
Thoughts of the moment:
Are all Afghanis a threat? Absolutely not. Do I treat them like criminals or someone with an ill will? Absolutely not. Do I appreciate having my M9 and M4 just in case? Absolutely.
I should get to my final stop tomorrow at which point I will delightfully entertain you of my life in my actual assignment. Anxiously anticipating the fun...
No comments:
Post a Comment