Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day

I got to spend Mother's Day in sunny San Antonio (training), and Father's Day in picturesque Afghanistan plus every other holiday/significant event from now through the end of the year.  Aren't I a lucky gal?

An Army Lt Col came into my office to introduce himself and told me his name.  I told him I was Amazing, prior to telling him my first name.  Now every time he sees me, he asks if I'm great, amazing, or darn (not his word of choice) near perfect.  My response varies, but is normally a combination of all three.  Goal #219, make everyone who I encounter realize how awesome I am.  I'd say I'm off to a good start.  The Marine who works down the hall that I previously referred to as a grumpasaurus rex came into my office yesterday just to say hello and chat.  It was weird at first, but then I realized even Marines need their daily dose of my amazingness.  I don't discriminate. 

Random:
Two people (one Canadian, and one Yankee) asked if I were from Texas because of my accent.  I like to think that my accent is colloquial and reserved for family and friends.  I suppose I was wrong (in my Scarlett O'Hara voice).  

So folks, I decided to join the Volunteer Community Relations committee.  As always, I have found something to submerge myself in.  Hopefully, I haven't bit off more than I can chew.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.  My first meeting was today, and I was presented a pretty cool gift-will discuss below.  During the meeting, a local Afghan known as "Rocky" kept telling everyone, women included, Happy Father's Day. It was pretty funny. Ok, guess it's one of those "you gotta be there" moments

 I also have attempted to plan mandatory fun, but keep getting weird looks from my cohorts.  I won't give up though so I'll keep you posted.

Cool gift:
There is a civilian (American) who is like a Boy Scout liaison of sorts; don't know the exact title.  Anyway he presented me with a star from an American flag, that rather being disposed of by normal/official means Boy Scouts cut and distribute to service members.  A little note that was attached reads:  I am part of our American Flag.  I have flown over a home in the U.S.A.  I can no longer fly.  The sun and winds have caused me to become tattered and torn.  Please carry me as a reminder that YOU are not forgotten.

 It's definitely the small things that reminds folks like me of the oaths we've taken and make spending time away from those we love in places like Afghanistan worth it.  I don't do this for me (obviously), but so my boys and the people of  "Merica can enjoy the freedoms of our land.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment