Guess who's going to Afghanistan? The story of my cooky journey across the world. *sometimes I write entrys on my cell phone or iPad, so if you catch a misspelled word...good for you grammar patrol!
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Happy Mother's Day
Day 0.5
...I don't need any further confirmation that this is real.
Today is the day that I've been unanxiously (expect frequent made up words) awaiting since April 9th. Let's backtrack to how I got here:
(Phone rings on a Tuesday morning) "Lt Gadson, I've got some good news and some bad news"
Me-(awkward pause) "Umm, ok. What is it?"
"You're deploying...on Saturday"
At that moment I think I simultaneously lost control of my bodily functions (TMI) and had feelings of excitement, confusion, and disappointment.
I didn't leave in the 4 days as originally told, but here I am slightly over one month, one training course, and plenty of Air Force snafus later at CAST (Combat Airmen Skills Training) at beautiful Camp Bullis, TX. I always wanted to visit San Antonio and the surrounding area...I got exactly what I asked for.
The conditions actually are a lot better than I expected. My bed has an actual mattress rather than just a cot. The other four ladies in my tent are equally awesome as I am, and I only have to eat one, yes one, MRE per day. Winning!
Getting here however was no easy feat. I looked like a whimpy pre teen struggling with my luggage and weapon in the airport. I felt like a ran a half marathon by time I made it to the security checkpoint (with enough sweat to authenticate the look) ONLY to have my carry on completely unpacked to reveal my illegal tube of toothpaste. The TSA guy politely said "Thank you for your service" after ram sacking my strategically packed ruck sack containing 3 days worth of uniforms and everything else I managed to stuff in all the compartments. I did get to see the World's Greatest Auntie while at the USO in San Antonio waiting on the shuttle to the training site.
My Mother's Day wasn't a complete bust. I was reminded that I signed up and took an oath that 99% of the population never will. And as much as it saddens me to leave my family for any period of time, the call in which I have and will answer is far beyond a simple explanation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment