Like a habitual cheating mate, I won't apologize for my failure to update you and promise to never do it again.
The past nine days were filled with your typical highs and lows. The high: seeing my fellow CASTmate and catching up on shenanigans. The low: purchasing software to hide my VPN in an attempt to use movie streaming services that only work in the U.S. (i.e. Netflix, Amazon Prime)...it didn't work. The wireless network detected my use of the "unauthorized software". It doesn't really matter, the wifi only works 16% of the time anyway.
I took a trip to KAIA (Kabul International Airport--I think) last week to attend training. While there I had lunch with Sarah,one of the Camp Girls from CAST. Camp Girls was the name given to my roomies and I by my 7-year old son. Anyway, the best part about being deployed to Afghanistan, is knowing people that are equally awesome as you to share the experience with. Sarah is on a mish' to use a Razor scooter to travel around the base. More to come on that.
Random thought:
The ice cream server at the DFAC generally gives me way too much, yet I still eat it all even when I feel nauseous...hmm.
My weightlifting update:
I'm up to 180 on the leg press...that's 180 lbs of added weight, I dunno if the plates weigh anything. I was also able to do three dead lifts at 165 lbs. Baby steps, but hey it's progress nonetheless. My only goal is to leave Afghanistan in better physical shape then I came in. We'll see how that goes and if a body transformation actually takes place. The Colonel I work for saw pics from the gym that the Major I workout with took. He noticed I was wearing gloves to lift and called me a sissy girl. I told him my husband will appreciate if I come home with palms that are still feminine.
I've signed up for Dari lessons. They begin in a month so I'll be sure to impress you with my newly acquired language skills.
What happens to people when they leave/retire from Active Duty and re-enter the civilian workforce as GS-15s? Or those that have always been civilians and have made it through the ranks and are now GS-15s/SES? I don't recall a crown being given to anyone regardless of what position they work in, but some folks think they're royalty. An Army Captain said something that made a lot of sense today, "Everybody here ain't fighting a war." So true. Some people are more consumed with trying to be placed in billeting without a roommate, creating fake Red Cross notifications, ordering executive Mahogany wood desks, and the lack of product selection at the PX. All things which the bad guys don't not care about, therefore should be no concern of ours.
People are starting to frustrate me, think I'll hit up the gym.
Adios!
Keep them coming!! :-) Enjoy reading...
ReplyDelete