Sunday, November 10, 2013

Epilogue

Since I've abandoned you for so long, the story has [nearly] ended.

From Then To Now:
The Government shutdown. It re-opened.  I went to Poland for two weeks (details to follow).  I'm still basking in my pre-mid life crisis.  I'll be going home soon.  Afghanistan doesn't get any better as the weather gets colder.  Yup, same ol same.

Polska:
Poland was amazing!  I was in Bydgoszcz escorting a group of Afghan military and police members to training.  The travel was very "interesting" however.  First, while getting searched at Kabul International Airport I'm almost positive the lady went to 2nd or 3rd base.  Only because getting "hands on" is the only way to get down in Afghanistan I'm sure.  Transiting through Doha and Dubai were a wirlwhind, but apparantly there is something rather suspicious about one American female traveling across the world without a passport with a group of 60+ Afghan men.

After two (literally) days of traveling we finally made it to Bydgoszcz and stayed at the most oppulent hotel I've ever seen and experienced first-hand.  I felt like a recently freed prisoner.  Having a bed larger than a twin size, a bathroom to myself, and merely strolling along without battle rattle and a pistol were great...weird, but great.

Between my days on duty at the training center, I shopped my head off and allowed my inner Foodie to explore all of the restaurants that my belly could handle.  Traveling back was equally interesting.  While traveling through Warsaw or Gdanszk (I can't remember exactly), the female Polish TSA equivalent did an equally through pat down.  Unlike the curtained area they have for women in Afghanistan, this pat down was at the security gate in front of everyone.  Maybe she confused my dress as a shirt and my leggings as pants, but either way she lifted my dress completely up with all of my business exposed.  I was a little bothered and upset, but if that will thwart terrorism and keep bombs off planes, I'm game.  

WAIT, I almost forgot the first day at the training center:  A Polish Army Major introduced himself to the other three escorts and I (there were two U.S. Army officers, and Italian Army officer, and myself...AIRPOWER).  Anyway, he went on to tell me that my time there would be laughingly interesting.  I didn't think anything of it, and then one of the Afghan interpreters that traveled with us said "It's because you're black ma'am".  So um yeah.  The first night we went out for dinner in Poland, there was a black guy (I'm thinking he was from the U.K. based on his accent), he yelled across the room "What's up my black sister!"  I forced an awkward smile and said hello.  He asked where I was from, and while I wanted to say Djibouti, I told him the U.S.  He responded, "Oh, like New York".  I just said yes and went with it.  Sometimes less is more.

I also took over 100 photos with the Afghans once they warmed up to me.  They were very intrigued by this non-veil wearing black skin girl.  Two other guys from the training, one New Zealender and one Polish, stated that they observed how graceful and polite I was despite all of the request for photos.  First, I've never heard those words in describing me.  Second, I realize that I'm a "rare form" and I went on and was a representative of all dark people and obliged their request. Black people all across the world, you're welcome.

And so the saga that is my pre-mid life crisis continues.  It's been nearly a year already and I haven't quite gotten a grip on things.  I'm currently on Day 4 of The Purpose Driven Life, sand I feel there is still hope and with a reality check and leap of faith I'll get this whole thing figured out.

So my contdown back to the states has officially begun.  I'll write as much as possible and update you on the antics as they occur.  I suppose you can call it a prelogue to my reintegration in the foreign world and life I left behind in May.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment